Welcome to SubCulture, your definitive guide to what I’m sonically immersing myself in while I work on the next big developments at the Submarine HQ.
This inaugural edition features artists old and new, friends, heroes, experimentalists, icons, guitar and non guitar music and cool stuff that I’ve come across recently.
Special mention goes out to Akusmi and NYX. I mixed their sound at the fabulous Hidden Notes festival in Stroud, a short walk from my house at the weekend. Akusmi is the French-born, London based composer, multi-instrumentalist and producer Pascal Bideau who is making some wonderful stuff and NYX are a seven piece electronic drone choir who describe themselves as an otherworldly electric chorus, re-embodying live electronics and extended vocal techniques. Great stuff. Enjoy.
1. Pin It Down - Madison Cunningham
2. Have You Ever Seen Peaches Grow on a Sweet Potato Vine? - Jake Xerxes Fussell
3. Vaseline Machine Gun - Leo Kottke
4. If I'm Unworthy - Blake Mills
5. Journey In Satchindananda - Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders
6. Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
7. Spanish Grease - Willie Bobo
8. River - Terry Reid
9. Salinas - Laura Marling
10. Little One - The Breath
11. Hold On - Alabama Shakes
12. Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car - Iron & Wine
13. Holding Hands - The Magic Lantern
14. Small Things - Ben Howard
15. Sugar Baby - Sam Amidon
16. Jealous Guy - Live at the Bitter End, New York City, 1971 - Donny Hathaway
17. Trance Dance - Goran Kajfes, Goran Kajfes Subtropic Arkestra
18. Bill - Tin Hat Trio
19. Tezeta - Malatu Astatke
20. What Will We Do When We Have No Money - Lankum
21. Hallogallo - NEU!
22. Void - NYX
23. Speak Your Mind - Marc Benno
24. Restless Fugitive - Willy Mason
25. Fleeting Future - Akusmi