Arrival of some parts, waiting on others

Whilst some parts have arrived, our assembly is being held up by difficulties with the housing and with the circuit boards. The company making the die cast housing have found the part very hard to produce. They have taken longer than was originally anticipated. Due to the nature of injecting molten metal into a mould, you can never be 100% sure of the result. As you can see from the photo below we are extremely close! We are working with them to solve the last snags and I’m confident we will have solved the problem in the next few days.

Here’s a die cast housing complete with  sprue  fresh out of the mould, waiting for post processing.

Here’s a die cast housing complete with sprue fresh out of the mould, waiting for post processing.

3D model of the housing

3D model of the housing

The circuit boards took much longer to complete due to minute error early in the process. The boards are now completed. The switchboards have arrived in the UK. The other boards are with our coil supplier who mount the coils directly onto the boards. We’ve found this to be the best method as it reduces wastage and improves pickup reliability and accuracy.

I’m hesitant to predict a new date at this stage - we’re still so reliant on other companies promises and estimates. When everything has arrived and I have soldering iron in hand I’ll be able to say exactly. Keep an eye on this blog over Christmas for more updates.